Coverart for item
The Resource St. James Episcopal Church History collection

St. James Episcopal Church History collection

Label
St. James Episcopal Church History collection, 1889-1941
Title
St. James Episcopal Church History collection
Inclusive dates
1889-1941
Creator
Contributor
Creator
Subject
Language
  • eng
  • eng
Summary
This collection includes three typed manuscripts, a history of the church (1941) and two papers on women's work in the parish (1889 and 1940), as well as one typed transcript of the program for the Semi-Centennial Celebration of St. James Church held in November 1889. The paper written by Francis M. Van Natter in 1941, 15 pages, covering the history of St. James Church from its inception in 1823 to the consecration of its new building in 1907. Sophie Amelia Langton Ghee wrote the six-page manuscript with the heading: "To the Bishop, Rector and members of St. James' Episcopal Church, Vincennes, Ind." She wrote of the women's work in the parish from 1839 to 1889. On page 2, Ms. Langton wrote: "the society met once a week at the Rector's residence, and made useful and fancy articles that were sold at Fairs given by them" with the proceeds used to pay church expenses and "at times a portion of the Rector's salary." The third manuscript, consisting of five pages, was entitled "Women's Work in St. James Parish" by Florence G. Watts , dated December 5, 1940. She used Amelia Langton's paper for research. Before they had a building, the ladies formed a sewing society, and were able to donate $200 toward the purchase of the lot on which the first church was built. The women held entertainments which raised money to buy an organ and provide other benefits for the church. They maintained a sewing school for girls at a mission school. In 1887, the younger women formed St. Mary's Altar Guild to raise money for altar expenses. Ms. Watts wrote, on page 4, "The women had much to do with the music of the church."
http://bibfra.me/vocab/relation/authoraut
  • uGCuYdZA-fs
  • 9XaMJUJvSEg
  • OuuCIXoLZgc
Biographical or historical data
The Protestant Episcopal Church of Vincennes, Indiana started in 1823. The St. James parish was formed on October 7, 1839 and the congregation was renamed St. James Church, and then met in the Town Hall while they began constructing their own building. On August 13, 1843, the church, located at Fourth and Busseron streets, was consecrated. The church celebrated a semi-centennial celebration in 1889. In 1907, the current St. James Episcopal Church building was completed at Sixth and Perry streets. Sources:Items in the collection.
Cataloging source
ISL
http://library.link/vocab/creatorName
Ghee, Sophie Amelia Langton
http://library.link/vocab/relatedWorkOrContributorName
  • Van Natter, Francis M.
  • Watts, Florence G.
  • St. James Episcopal Church (Vincennes, Ind.)
http://library.link/vocab/subjectName
  • Episcopal Church
  • Women in community organization
  • Women
  • Vincennes (Ind.)
Label
St. James Episcopal Church History collection
Link
http://www.in.gov/library/finding-aid/S2182_St._James_Episcopal_Church_History_Collection.pdf
Instantiates
Note
Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2015/05/21 by Nikki Stoddard Schofield. EAD and finding aid completed 2015/05/21 by Nikki Stoddard Schofield. EAD finding aid revised 2015/06/30 by Brittany Kropf
Arrangement
This collection is arranged chronologically.
Carrier category
unspecified
Carrier category code
zu
Carrier MARC source
rdacarrier
Content category
unspecified
Content type code
zzz
Content type MARC source
rdacontent
Control code
20839788
Extent
0.01 Cubic feet
Governing access note
This collection is open for research
Media category
unspecified
Media MARC source
rdamedia
Media type code
z
Ownership
This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as two donations from Francis M. Van Natter on 1941/01/23, and from Florence Watts on 1941/01/30.
System control number
  • (OCoLC)ocn966640118
  • (OCoLC)966640118
Terms governing use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Type of unit
1 folder
Label
St. James Episcopal Church History collection
Link
http://www.in.gov/library/finding-aid/S2182_St._James_Episcopal_Church_History_Collection.pdf
Note
Processing Information: Collection processing completed 2015/05/21 by Nikki Stoddard Schofield. EAD and finding aid completed 2015/05/21 by Nikki Stoddard Schofield. EAD finding aid revised 2015/06/30 by Brittany Kropf
Arrangement
This collection is arranged chronologically.
Carrier category
unspecified
Carrier category code
zu
Carrier MARC source
rdacarrier
Content category
unspecified
Content type code
zzz
Content type MARC source
rdacontent
Control code
20839788
Extent
0.01 Cubic feet
Governing access note
This collection is open for research
Media category
unspecified
Media MARC source
rdamedia
Media type code
z
Ownership
This collection was received by Rare Books and Manuscripts as two donations from Francis M. Van Natter on 1941/01/23, and from Florence Watts on 1941/01/30.
System control number
  • (OCoLC)ocn966640118
  • (OCoLC)966640118
Terms governing use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Rare Books and Manuscripts, Indiana State Library, Indianapolis, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Rare Books and Manuscripts.
Type of unit
1 folder

Library Locations

    • Indiana State LibraryBorrow it
      315 W. Ohio St., Indianapolis, IN, 46202, US
      39.77004 -86.164015

Library Links

Processing Feedback ...